The Student News Site of Panther Creek High School

Panther Creek News

Panther Creek News

Panther Creek News

Fear Attraction

Fear+Attraction
Alyson Greif

Everyone loves to get a good scare no matter what season and there is no better way to do it than watching a good horror movie. This year has been filled with a number of new horror movies for people who love the genre and people who just want a good scare to watch. From slashers to supernatural horror, plenty of good horror movies have come out to release as the year wraps up.

A lot of popular movies such as Halloween, Scream, Friday The 13th, Nightmare Of Elm Street, and more are all classic horror movies that we have all grown to love and because of this, scary movies are made frequently throughout the year. A new movie that came out recently, is the very first live-action Five Nights At Freddy’s. The FNAF franchise has been a big thing since August 8, 2014, when the first game came out. The game by Scott Cawthon has multiple jumpscares but regardless of that, it has warmed the hearts of millions of people all over the world. “I love the concept of the game, it just hooked me right into it from the moment I played, and ever since then I have been a huge fan and I’m really excited for the movie” Elayha Farmer, a student at Estacado High School said. When the trailer first came out, many people thought it was a fake trailer and were surprised to hear that the movie was really coming out. However, others have mixed feelings about the movie because it is going to be rated PG-13 so there might not be as many gruesome scenes as some wanted. No matter how the movie turns out, many horror fans and FNAF fans are very ready for the movie and are excited to finally be able to watch the movie based on the beloved franchise. Five Nights at Freddy’s is now available to watch in theaters or on Peacock.

However, FNAF is not the only horror movie this year that many were looking forward to. Scream 6 was a huge movie that also came out this year. Scream 6 on March  10th, 2023. This installment in the franchise explored something completely new. They took the aspect of  “What if the movies took place in a big city?” and brought it to life. Scream 6 moves away from the fictional city of Woodsboro and takes a twist like Friday the 13th Vlll which takes place in the Big Apple.  This movie is also the first in the franchise to leave out Sydney Prescott and completely rely on most of the new protagonists to move the story forward. This movie is something any Scream fan and anyone familiar with the series will enjoy with plenty of plot twists and kills for people to enjoy. Scream 6 is available to watch on Paramount Plus.

Sax X is yet another great movie that came out this year on September 29, 2023. Many people expected the movie to be horrible due to how many movies were made of Saw. Saw X is the tenth installment in the franchise and follows Jigsaw, also known as John Kramer. Kramer travels to Mexico for medical treatment for his cancer only to find out he gets scammed. Now with a new purpose, the infamous serial killer uses his tricks and traps to get his revenge on the con artists. Just like any Saw movie, this one is filled with many traps that will keep everyone on the edge of their seats trying to see if the victims make it or die trying. Saw X is available to rent on Amazon Prime or Apple TV.

This year has been filled with exciting horror movies that long-time fans and newcomers of the genre alike will enjoy spending their time watching throughout this year. And with more to come out this year, such as The Exorcist, there will be more scares for people to witness and enjoy. So go out and watch these movies at home or in theaters to support the actors and filmmakers that have made these movies for people to enjoy and watch with their friends and families.